How Does Organic Cayenne Pepper Help Your Pet Stay Healthy?
Cayenne pepper, aka chili pepper, has many benefits for both people and pets. It's the spice that gives Mexican food its heat and kick. It was the herb of the year in 2016, and it's great for dogs!
Cayenne is rich in vitamins A and C. It also supplies micronutrients, flavonoids, copper, iron, potassium, and a host of other B vitamins including B2, B3, and B6.
Besides these nutritional benefits, there are the other benefits of cayenne pepper for your pets.
How Cayenne Can Benefit Your Pet
There are many different ways that cayenne pepper can benefit your pet. The primary ways are:
Topically: applied to the skin, cayenne can do the following:
- Increase circulation to the skin, nerves, and joints.
- Improves the body's capability to absorb nutrients, prevent inflammation, fight infection, and reduce pain wherever it's applied.
- Can serve as effective first aid for dogs and cats with scrapes, mouth lacerations, bites, cuts, bleeding nails, and can even stop bleeding on contact.
Orally: when given to your pet in oral form, whether through supplements or powder, it can do the following:
- Oral supplements (or when you add it to food in small doses) will speed up circulatory and digestive reactions.
- A warming effect on the body that will warm your pet's cold paws and improve the health of their veins.
- In the digestive tract, it will relieve and decrease the effects of constipation, flatulence, gas, diarrhea, and improve the absorption of nutrients.
- Anytime your pet is debilitated. Whether their circulation is stagnant or their body is congested, or when they're lacking in energy.
- Whenever you want to give your pet another kind of herb or medication. Cayenne is an excellent carrier herb, able to carry other supplements to the brain, heart, and stomach.
- Provide your pet with pain relief. Despite the negative association that many people have with cayenne pepper and pets (because of the widely used pepper sprays), it's actually quite good as providing pain relief to both humans and animals. Humans already use cayenne pepper supplements for joint pain and arthritis, and your pet can too.
Canine Heart Disease
This disease can cause rapid pulses, lethargy, lameness, weakness, shortness of breath, vomiting and chronic coughing. All of these symptoms can be reduced when you add cayenne pepper to your pet's food.
Cayenne pepper can also stop a heart attack. There's a history of evidence to support this notion. For instance, Dr. John Christopher was an American herbalist in the 20th century. He and his followers all used cayenne to treat heart disease patients.
Can Pets Eat Cayenne Pepper Safely?
The answer is yes, but as we said, in moderation. Adding too much cayenne pepper orally can create digestive problems, and adding too much topically can damage their skin.
In addition, cayenne will also irritate the mucous membranes. So, be sure to not let any get in their rectum, eyes, genitals or nostrils whenever you spray or apply it.
Petness Uses Organic Cayenne Pepper in Thrive Treats
In order to give your pet the highest possible benefit from our hemp chews, we specifically add organic cayenne pepper to Thrive Treats. This allows your pet to get the natural benefits from organic cayenne pepper while at the same time benefiting from the highest quality organic hemp oil on the market. Check out our full lineup or hemp based pet products.